Winter Garden Prep
As we enjoy the beautiful colours of Autumn, winter is just around the corner so it is a great time to start preparing your garden for winter. Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. Scrub off shade paint in your greenhouse with a bucket of hot water and a sponge. This will help get extra light and warmth during the winter months.
2. Have a nice Autumn clear out of your greenhouse. Perform a good clean and disinfect of your greenhouse to help prevent pests and fungal infection. Ventilate and ensure it dries thoroughly.
3. Tidy up boarders to ensure a vibrant display next year. Dig up annuals and plant pansies, wallflowers and bellis daisies. Then spread a thick layer of compost, bark chips or well-rotted manure.
4. Remove moss with a spring-tinned rake and add it to the compost heap. You can even apply Autumn lawn feed to prepare you grass for the cold winter months.
5. Autumn is a good time to utilise last year’s compost and clear out your compost heap. If it isn’t quite ready, turn it over to improve decomposition and create a new heap for fresh organic matter.