Six Items You Shouldn’t Add to Compost
More and more homes are creating compost piles. However, some items should not be added. Here are six of them.
Items to Avoid Composting
- Coal or Charcoal ashes can contain toxic materials that could harm your plants. However, wood ashes are fine.
2. Walnuts also contain a chemical that could be harmful to other plants and does not break down (juglone).
3. Cat and Dog waste should be avoided as it could contain dangerous diseases that could be spread to humans.
4. Coloured paper could contain toxic dyes and should not be composted, unlike regular paper.
5. Limes should not be composted because their pH is alkaline and could kill the good microorganisms in your compost.
6. Some food items can be composted but are not recommended due to the amount of time it takes them to break down or could attract unwanted pests, such as meat, onion peels, citrus peels, grease, bones, or dairy products.